JOSEPH SHILLINGE and "TOWN PLACE" MANOR
Joseph held the title to a manor house and lands known as "Town Place". According to the 18th century Kent historian, Edward Hasted, the lands around Throwley were held by a John De Shelving sometime between 1350 - 1400. Dying without male issue the title passed to his son-in-law, John Detling ( alias Brampton ). Again without male issue the property passed to his son-in-law, Thomas Towne, who was responsible for building Town Place circa. 1450 ). Thomas also died without male issue, so his lands were divided between his three sons-in-law. 1 ) Richard Lewknor inherited Town Place and lands which he subsequently sold to Edward Evering, who's son-in-law, John Upton alienated ( transferred ) to Shilling ( sometime prior to 1601 ). 2 ) William Watton. 3 ) William Sondes, who's descendants later became 1st and 2nd Earls of Feversham ( the 2nd Earl was the commander who put down the Monmouth Rebellion ), inherited the manor of Throwley. Sometime prior to 1631 the title of Town Place passed to the Sondes family.
Town Place still stands today and is the home of Lady Goldsmith.
Return to Documents Page
Graphics Created by "World of Myst"
See website for more designs:
Copyright © 2000 - 2005 by Paula Hadgraft